Saturday, January 5, 2013

Baby Grandmother's Garden




January is the time of year that I dig out my UFOs (unfinished objects) and really try and finish as many as I can before starting any new projects.

I started this Grandmother's Garden a few summers ago. I hand pieced all the hexagons using 1.5" papers. That summer we went camping and drove in a Westfalia with no air conditioning. I worked on joining all the flowers with the white hexagons into rows and I almost lost the top out the unrolled window several times as we whipped down the highway. A sight I'm sure.

After a while I got bored joining the flowers with the white and put it aside. A few weeks ago I pulled it out and proclaimed it a baby quilt (it was going to be a twin). I basted and quilted it by echo sewing around each flower. A machine binding was sewn on and I was done. 


I have several flowers left over and I embellished 2 flour sack dish towels (one flower at the bottom of each towel) and gave a set to Amy for her birthday. I have about 10 left and I am sure I will find something to do with them. They would be fun pincushions, on a tote bag, or even a pot holder.

I feel pretty good about crossing this 2 + year old UFO off my list. I have no idea what to do with the baby quilt now but it is done.

 

These are the papers I used.

I am linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts, Finish It Up Friday. go check out the other great finishes.
Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

4 comments:

  1. The quilt is beautiful! I would really like to do a quilt in this pattern this year. Your colors are just great...so cheery and bright -- looks just like a garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a lovely quilt! finishing smaller is a great way to bust through thoses UFOs, isn't it? congrats on crossing another one off the list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job finishing up a UFO. It's very cheerful.

    ReplyDelete