Friday, December 21, 2012

Chevron Tree Skirt


I was browsing through Pinterest and I saw a black and white chevron skirt and thought "I need to make a chevron Christmas tree skirt. Now!" Heather and I laid out the a yard or so of the fabric on the counter. Heather cut 12 triangles. The straight top edge was cut 13" wide.

I sewed all 12 triangles together leaving one seam open. I sandwiched the backing, batting, and top with spray baste. My trusty old cd was used to trace a circle in the center and then I trimmed the open seam and the circle.


12- 20" pieces of jumbo white ric rac were then sewn on the seams to hold my layers together and hide the fact that my chevrons didn't match up perfectly. I trimmed around all the edges.
I used a red pre-made moda binding to go around the edges of the tree skirt. I haven't added any ties yet but I am thinking of reusing a saved Moda twill tape that came wrapped around a layer cake.

Fabric used: Moda Half Moon Modern Chevron, 1.5 yards
                    White Jumbo Ric Rac 250 inches (almost 7 yards)
                     Bias tape 6 yards

Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

2 comments: