Thursday, November 29, 2012

Christms Window, Stockings



Getting a full view picture of our windows isn't easy but Laura managed to get a good shot of our Cozy Cabin window.

To start I hung a couple of red plaid table cloths from my thrift stash to create a festive backdrop. The church pew was centered and placed on a vintage handmade wool braided rug. I picked up two at our local Methodist Church spring rummage sale.

A rustic wood bench serves as our coffee table.  A sled, small trees and, and child's wicker chair round out the scene.

We knew we wanted a fireplace and making one out of cardboard fit our budget. I saved this huge piece of cardboard for several months waiting to make this project. I cut various rock shapes and glued them on to the front of the fireplace with hot glue.
 The base got a coat of cream the the rocks got a swirl of grey paint with a foam brush. I only had to buy a small tester pot of the grey paint.
 I finished it off with a few flicks of grey paint from a brush to give the whole piece a flecked look. I leaned the front against the butcher's table that is permanently in our window and placed a few crates on top for height.
I slipped another crate partially in a cut out fire box added a hatchet and a chalkboard painted silver tray. If I had a few logs I would have stuck them up out of the box.  One $2.50 (for paint) fireplace, done.


Of course stockings have to be made for the fireplace. Laura was in charge of that and she picked out some great wintery brushed cottons for a vintage feel..


We hung a lighted garland across the top of the display and hung fun gold ornaments. The ornaments are from the dollar store. I also made and hung 4 large burlap and red fabric strip pompopms. Can you see them in the first picture? I used this tutorial from Cleverly Inspired.
Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment